Home » Bangladesh

List Articles

BANGLADESH

The identity of Bangladesh as a modern nation-state is derived from a cohesive ethnic and regional base in which Islam has long been a key element. Nearly all of the country's 114 million people are speakers of the Bengali language, and, minor sectarian variation aside, some 85 percent are also Sunni Muslims governed by the Hanafi school of Islamic law. Most of the remaining 15 percent are Hindus. Islam in Bengal dates from the arrival of Turkic invaders in 1200 CE. In 1576 the region was inc ...more

MUJIBUR REHMAN,SHEIKH

Sheikh Mujibur Rahman (Bengali: শেখ মুজিবুর রহমান Shekh Mujibur Rôhman) (March 17, 1920 – August 15, 1975) was a Bengali nationalist politician and the founder of Bangladesh. He headed the Awami League, served as the first President of Bangladesh and later became its Prime Minister of Bangladesh. He is popularly referred to as Sheikh Mujib (shortened as Mujib or Mujibur, not Rahman), and with the ho ...more

AWAMI LEAGUE

AWAMI LEAGUE. As one of Bangladesh's two major political parties, the Awami ("people's") League led the country's war of independence against Pakistan in 1971, under the charismatic Shaikh Mujibur Rahman (1920-1975), affectionately called the Banglabandhu or "Friend of Bengal." It is a secularly oriented, left-leaning political organization. Its party symbol, the boat, symbolizes the river-based life of the r ...more

Subscribe to Blog via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Translate »